A total of 23 scores were submitted from around the country to our second NZTrio Composing Competition. We were impressed with the overall standard and variety of voices within the entries, and it was very clear that much thought had gone in to the selection of words by a wide range of New Zealand authors and poets. It was exciting to see those words and imagery given new context through each composer’s distinct musical language.
Our warm congratulations go to all the composers who submitted scores, and our sincere thanks go to the teachers and mentors.
Following two full and rewarding days of playing through the scores, we have chosen 17 entries to progress to the workshop rounds later this month and in August.
Workshop dates are:
· Friday 28th July, University of Auckland (Auckland and Waikato students)
· Monday 31st July, University of Canterbury (Canterbury and Otago students)
· Wednesday 2nd August, NZSM Victoria University (Wellington students)
We now have our work cut out for us in preparing the selected compositions for the workshops. We’re looking forward to meeting the people behind the notes, and to sharing our thoughts while working together with those composers in the workshop sessions.
Following these workshops the selected composers will have the opportunity to revise their works (should they wish) for resubmission by Monday 4th September. The finalists, chosen by NZTrio and composer Juliet Palmer, will be announced on Monday 18th September for performances in Wellington on Sunday 15th October and in Auckland on Friday 20th October 2017.
Our hearty congratulations go to these 18 entries listed below, that progress to the workshop stage.
See you all soon!
Ashley, Sarah and Miranda*
(*Miranda Adams, guest violinist for the NZTrio 2017 Composing Competition)
Workshop Score Selection:
· Nathaniel Otley – Red Herring
University of Canterbury
· Robert Bryce – Intimate Horizon
· Rosa Elliott – Voices of Air
· Amelia Hill – Shy
University of Auckland
· Josiah Carr – time and glue
· Leo Jaffrey – Pastures
· Lily James – Charcoal on White Snow
· Richard Francis – Reflections
· Richard Paull – Bonds
· Riley Cahill – Territory of the Heart
· Rueben Rameka – No Ordinary Sun
· Tim Carter – Silkworm
· Xu Tang – One Two Three
· Abby Pinkerton – Whispers and Echoes
· Dana Buchanan – Tō Mātou Whenua
Te KōKī New Zealand School of Music
· Callum Mallett – Departure, at the going tide
· Marcus Jackson – When Where